About the First Congregational Church of Bay Shore
The First Congregational Church of Bay Shore was organized in 1853. At that time our church was located on Main Street just east of First Avenue in Bay Shore. Our present sanctuary was built in 1891 by ship's carpenters, whose handiwork can be seen in the ceiling which was built to represent an inverted ship's hull. The sea inspired the style of the pews also, they have crashing waves carved into the end of each pew. A new Sunday School wing was added in 1969. Our Oman Pipe organ built in 1905 by Carl Magnus Oman was restored in 2003 by JoEllen Elsener of Elsener Organ Works. We were recently blessed to have a visit from several of Carl Oman's great grandchildren. The entire Sunday School wing was renovated in 2007, including the addition of additional classrooms. The renovation of our basement classrooms was completed in July, 2015 and is now home to our Early Learning Center. Our former Early Learning Center classroom is now our brand new Infant/Toddler Day Care Center.
We are a Protestant church. Our worship services are bible based. Our ancestors were the Pilgrims and our church government is similar to the Pilgrim "town meeting" where every member gets to vote on every issue, including but not limited to; voting on our Annual Budget, calling a Pastor, and all matters affecting the members, our building and properties.
We are an independent church, not part of any hierarchy outside the local church.